Analyst to the CEO
Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for an exceptional communicator with strong analytic skills to advance health care in East Africa.
About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in East Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past two years has grown to support nearly 150,000 patients monthly across Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda with our suite of software products. We have built a network of pharmacies and clinics that use our restocking system to order medicines from high quality suppliers and we are testing a variety of payment systems and incentive structures for patients to improve uptake of high-impact health products like antenatal care commodities, infectious disease diagnostics, and contraceptives. We measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare commodities for low-income patients across East Africa.
We are seeking an exceptional professional to execute on behalf of the CEO. As Maisha Meds grows, our CEO is focused on an increasingly diverse set of priorities, from communicating effectively with external partners to conducting analyses to improve our operations. We are seeking a detail-oriented, deeply analytical communicator to work very closely with the CEO to and execute on those priorities.
The role has three primary responsibilities:
Executive-level, strategic communications: We believe well-crafted communication of our strategy is critical to the success of Maisha Meds. This role will reflect the voice of our CEO in communications with the most important influencers in the sector and internal audiences. Most frequently, this involves researching and writing persuasive memos and presentations. Possible workstreams include:
- Working with our CEO to write concept notes and proposals for use with funders and global and regional policymakers
- Supporting development of our annual report and strategy letter
- Developing materials for quarterly board meetings and internal strategy sessions
One-off, fast analyses and tasks: These are analyses and tasks of one week or shorter duration, typically exploring a new strategic direction for the organization. These may include:
- Writing a memo summarizing the impact case for subsidizing access to HIV self-tests in private pharmacies and clinics and related policy and regulatory implications
- Conducting research and recommend a methodology for measuring usage rates, pricing, and barriers to access for injectable contraceptives across our network and make recommendations for how to improve access to these products for patients
- Developing a quick market assessment for different biometric options and the benefits and challenges of each potential tool Maisha Meds might adopt
New partnership development and support: As we begin to work with a wider range of government, insurance, and clinical partners, many of them require specific datasets and analyses to help assess the potential of our system for their particular use-case. Because these pilots are still at early stages and we have not committed engineering capabilities to support them, we will require custom analyses to help guide their decision-making. This could include:
- Pulling specific usage rates of cardiovascular medicines for UN-affiliated pilot
- Helping assess engagement with our platform for a Kenyan government pilot and recommend improvements to ops and tech teams to drive higher usage rates across public health facilities
- Designing and testing simple ODK tools to evaluate possible uptake of a new subsidy product
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 1-4 years of work experience. We are looking for candidates that will help take our organization to the next level of impact and scale. This is a competitive posting for a career–track role, with a two-year minimum contract. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Exceptional written communicator. We are looking for clear, concise communicators who have a demonstrated ability to effectively engage a range of audiences, including internal staff, external stakeholders, and organizational leadership. Writing samples will be requested.
- Stellar analytical skills with experience parsing large datasets in Python, R, or STATA
- Research ability. Candidates should have experience and skills in conducting powerful secondary research.
- Strong work experiences. Targeting former consultants (or similar skillset). Unstructured work experiences are also helpful.
- Leadership experiences at work, or outside of work.
- Top-performing undergraduate background
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Language: English required.
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals like in Silicon Valley, we can offer you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds to a company serving tens of millions of people.
Start date is flexible, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Send your resume, writing samples, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Analyst to the CEO.”