Chief of Staff
Join our Team
Maisha Meds is a digital software company working to make quality medicines affordable for the 2.5 billion patients worldwide who access primary health care at their local drug shop. Our Point of Sale (POS) application software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Africa to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year. For the people who use our software, it represents a way of tracking business decisions and accessing deals and working capital. For patients, we help strengthen supply chains and ensure that the medicine that they buy will be affordable and consistently high quality, in a setting where 1 in 10 products is counterfeit or substandard.
The organisation is at an exciting inflection point – we are currently testing our digital reimbursement model for improving malaria diagnosis and treatment alongside health economics research partners and global health funders. Our small-but-growing team of 35+ people is expanding in several countries in Africa currently with funding from USAID Development Innovation Ventures, Gates Foundation, Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, and others.
About the role
Maisha Meds is looking for a Chief of Staff to join our team in May 2021. They’ll be responsible for supporting the executive team on communications, the people function, and strategic initiatives.
This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya, with potential travel to Kisumu. You will report directly to the CEO for this role, and provide indirect supervision of various team members based on the active portfolio.
We are looking for an enthusiastic strategic thinker and strong communicator to support the executive team on driving results and shaping organisational culture. The Chief of Staff will be an essential part of a leadership team that is working to build a fun yet strongly performance-based culture at Maisha Meds and help us build out systems and processes for scale. You will do a mix of internal and external relationship management, spearhead key initiatives, and help shape Maisha Meds into a company with a focus on impact and sustainability while also maintaining our nimble approach to problem-solving and testing new solutions.
- Coordinate communications: Take the lead role on internal communications and ensure effective communication across teams and time zones. Take the lead on external communications and support stakeholder alignment (e.g., support on website, branding, board decks)
- Build and lead people function: Work closely with the executive team to build out Maisha Meds’ people function, and drive projects aimed at improving team culture and performance.
- Lead and support recruiting: Work with relevant teams to provide support for recruiting across levels
- Support on strategic initiatives: Support the executive team on various initiatives as needed, providing advisory and problem solving support
Maisha Meds reserves the right to adapt the work scope for the employee, in response to company needs or changes in direction.
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in business, economics, strategy, or other related field
- 4+ years work experience (minimum), with at least 2+ years in roles that have required significant coordination, communications, and people-related experience, as well as roles requiring strategic thinking; management consulting experience preferred
- Adaptability to a fast-paced working environment
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
- African country national
Why you should join us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. We can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people across East Africa.
We also offer competitive salary and benefits, including health insurance, 401(k) / pension, [in the future] stock options, and sponsorship for work visas in Kenya.
If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you.