Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a communications fellow to build our communications and brand strategy and execute to build the visibility of Maisha Meds in East Africa and globally.
About Maisha Meds
We are at an exciting stage of growth, where we are well-positioned to release results from our first randomized controlled trial in the next six months, announce new partnerships focused on paying for health outcomes for millions of patients and demonstrate new global health commitments focused on bringing this program to scale. We are ready to professionalize our communications in anticipation of these milestones.
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 1.5million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients at the last mile.
The Maisha Meds Fellowship Program
The Maisha Meds Fellowship Program is a unique, one-year, on-site engagement in East Africa. Our fellows lead initiatives which influence regional healthcare practices and patient outcomes. The program is designed to employ the talents of vaccinated professionals who’d like a change of scenery after a year of working from home. Maisha Meds covers fellows’ living expenses in East Africa, including a small stipend, and offers the flexibility to work from our outdoor office space at Ikigai, the Kenyan coast, the Maasai Mara, or other locations, as desired.
About the Role
We’re looking for a fellow to build our PR, marketing, and communications strategy. Our ideal candidate has deep experience working in communications for a growth stage startup or other large firm and understands how to build buzz around good work currently being done quietly.
- Collaborate with the CEO to design, develop and implement a bold vision for our brand and communications strategy and create a company profile to deploy across external and internal communications channels
- Oversee external content including digital/social media presence, press releases, web and blog content, brand messaging, market thought leadership, qualifications and award submissions. Analyze user and company data to uncover compelling insights that can be used to create content and stories.
- Develop the Maisha Meds brand identity and design: logo, color palette, design language, typography, digital and physical applications
- Define the role of brand in product development, working with the Product team to ensure a link between brand and offer.
- Own Maisha Meds PR strategy and execute and measure PR impact to the bottom line.
- Ensure positioning, brand architecture, attributes and key messages are applied throughout the entire organization.
- Ensure consistent messaging across all departments and communications channels; collateral, web, social, advertising and events.
- 7+ years of marketing experience with marketing or communications, preferably with healthcare and/or emerging market experience.
- Demonstrated ability to be strategic and execution focused. You can look at the big picture and determine the key ways we can make an impact while also building and executing detailed plans to make it happen. We’re a small team and every member needs to drive their projects.
- Experience in PR and/or content writing is preferred.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship development skills
- Proven track record of managing projects and tasks simultaneously
- Experience leading and managing people, projects and cross-functional stakeholders in a global setting
- Experience in measuring the effectiveness of communication strategies and approaches
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals and conference bikes like in Silicon Valley, we can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Fellowship.”