Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 1.5million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients at the last mile.
The Maisha Meds Fellowship Program
The Maisha Meds Fellowship Program is a unique, one-year, on-site engagement in East Africa. Our fellows lead initiatives which influence regional healthcare practices and patient outcomes. The program is designed to employ the talents of vaccinated professionals who’d like a change of scenery after a year of working from home. Maisha Meds covers fellows’ living expenses in East Africa, including a small stipend, and offers the flexibility to work from our outdoor office space at Ikigai, the Kenyan coast, the Maasai Mara, or other locations, as desired.
We’re looking for a fellow to lead our compliance initiative. Our ideal candidate is knowledgeable about the healthcare space and can build processes and provide training to help our organization become HIPAA and ISO compliant.
- Craft policies in place to ensure HIPAA and ISO compliance across Maisha Meds suite of software in partnership with Vanta
- Support ISO and HIPAA audits
- Adopt existing best-practice security and data policies for Maisha Meds context and putting Business Associate Agreements in place with key vendors
- Work with teams across the organization to enforce compliance, with a focus on two-factor authentication, training completion, password protection, and hardware encryption for all employees who access protected health information
- Source and evaluate vendors like Citrix and Rippling to streamline adoption of security standards and device management
- 3+ years experience in healthcare or tech industry
- Knowledge and working experience in project management
- Familiarity with compliance regulations, especially HIPAA and ISO
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with a culturally diverse team (we’re a mix of Kenyans and international team members)
- Bonus: Worked with small tech companies and helped them become HIPAA compliant