Ethiopia Program Director
Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for an exceptional project leader with experience with government relations, healthcare supply chains, and digital health systems to lead our expansion into Ethiopia.
About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is focused on improving healthcare quality, affordability, and access in Africa. Since incorporating in 2017, we have grown to support over 150,000 patients monthly across Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda with our suite of software products. Our network of pharmacies and clinics use our restocking system to order medicines from high quality suppliers, and we’re testing a variety of payment systems and incentive structures to improve patient uptake of high-impact health products like malaria diagnostics and treatment, prenatal care commodities, and contraceptives. We measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare commodities for low-income patients across Africa.
The organization is at an exciting inflection point as we expand into Ethiopia in 2021 in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Jhpiego, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation. This program is a one-year proof-of-concept to support development of supply chains and delivery of prenatal care programs, with the potential for scale nationally in Ethiopia if successful.
About the Role
We believe that exceptional service delivery, real-time learning, and an iterative feedback loop are core to building game-changing healthcare programs at scale. We are supported by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, and others to test a more transparent and accountable model of delivery of global health funding. In Ethiopia, we will be adapting our existing technology to improve distribution of critical prenatal diagnostics and to assess the role of non-monetary incentives in driving health worker adoption of these programs. This has the potential to transform the fundamentals of healthcare delivery in the public sector in low- and middle-income countries. We are looking for a strong leader and analytical thinker to help us build this into a flagship program demonstrating the potential of data-driven healthcare delivery for the bottom of the pyramid. The ideal candidate will:
- Be keen to lead our expansion into Ethiopia, including winning the support of program partners and government officials at all levels so that they are actively engaged with and excited about this program
- Develop supply chains and support the importation of hundreds of thousands of prenatal diagnostic tests into Ethiopia and navigate bureaucracy to ensure that these products are available in a timely manner
- Engage with our tech team to adapt a scalable incentives program that has the potential to impact the lives of millions of people
- Lead framing of a potential scale-up of this program to thousands of rural health posts
- Be interested in working with our economics research partners to test ideas at a small scale before rolling them out across our network
The ideal candidate will be comfortable with ambiguity, able to respond quickly to changing conditions, and excited to build an entirely new program with the potential for significant impact. In this role, the Ethiopia Program Director will lead Maisha Meds program development in Ethiopia and across the region. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will:
Build a supply chain for our partners to ensure stock availability in Ethiopia: alongside our CEO, COO, and other leadership, you will support the supply chain for Jhpiego’s ENAT program in Ethiopia, working with manufacturers, suppliers, importers, and regulators to ensure stock availability of hundreds of thousands of diagnostic tests in the first few months of the program and then building a strategy to ensure consistent availability after ENAT ends. You will:
- Work with our data & insights team to build supply chain forecasts and models and research regulatory status, pricing, and WHO prequalification of products needed for prenatal care delivery
- Work with Jhpiego and global manufacturers to place orders and ensure timely importation and availability of the diagnostic tests and Android tablets locally and manage all activities relating to achieving service delivery targets
- Lead MOH development of a supply chain strategy for prenatal diagnostic tests and work with them to ensure availability past 2021
Ensure our program partners love working with us and love our tech: You will proactively develop relationships with Jhpiego and government officials at all levels, help them begin to build norms around testing and using our tech, and actively solicit their feedback and feature requests for prioritization with our tech team; the scale-up of this program in the future depends on our close relationship with Jhpiego and the MOH at local and national levels in Ethiopia. You will:
- Have monthly and quarterly meetings with key stakeholders, that will include product demos, user feedback, and trainings on how to use the tech both in the health facility and for program monitoring remotely
- Help us frame our first non-monetary incentive program to use a points system to reward desired behaviors among clinicians at the health posts where our technology is used
- Develop technical working groups within Ethiopia and internationally to frame key questions around supply chain management and incentives for improved program delivery
- Lead development of a plan for future scale-up of this system nationally in Ethiopia
Lead engagement with our tech team to support product development and iteration: You will work directly with a team of software engineers to ensure that we are building world-class tech, with a focus on adapting existing software for Ethiopia, including translation to Amharic and Oromifa and development of non-monetary incentives for healthcare workers. You will:
- Develop a feedback loop to the tech team for refining and expanding our product offering with a focus on supporting public health systems
- Help us build a proof of concept for A/B testing, with a focus on setting non-monetary incentives and improving inventory management practices in rural health posts
- Evaluate technical integrations with DHIS2, barcoding, and other systems and develop low fidelity ways of defining and testing new ideas and feature requests before engaging the tech team
We are seeking someone with a mix of operational, product, and government engagement experience. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strategic leader and strong project manager with a track record of building and managing successful teams, including experience with complex field operations in East Africa
- Experience adapting tech systems to new contexts and building training programs
- Skilled at gaining support from government officials at all levels, from high-level stakeholders at the Ministry of Health to district decision-makers and clinicians at rural health posts
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Collaborative team player who can engage leaders across the organization to meet strategic objectives and communicate effectively with our tech and ops team to achieve objectives
- Experience managing team performance, including recruiting future leaders and developing them to achieve their potential
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
- Strong data & Excel skills; knowledge of R, python, or Stata are a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent in Amharic and English
You will be based in Addis Ababa with frequent travel to rural areas and some travel to Kenya.
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals and conference bikes like in Silicon Valley, we can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people across East Africa.
Start date is November 2020, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Ethiopia Program Director.”