Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a Finance Manager.
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 3million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Finance manager to join our team. The Finance manager will be responsible for managing accounting operations within the company in order to improve and support the strategic growth of our business. The Finance manager will be responsible for cash and account management, payroll and tax and imprest management. On a strategic level, the finance manager will work closely with internal and external stakeholders on financial reporting and will play an integral role in improving and optimizing our processes. The ideal candidate would have a strong accounting background as well as a constant drive for process improvement.
- Managing the day-to-day cash needs for company-related transactions, accounts payable, payroll, monthly tax and other statutory filings, and other financial obligations
- Owning the daily operation of the organization’s imprest (petty cash) system
- Leading timely and accurate financial reporting efforts, including regularly tracking and presenting the company’s financial results to senior executive leadership
- Help manage a small team of junior accountants to fulfill day-to-today responsibilities and help the team achieve its OKRs
- Regularly liaise with 3rd party accounting resources in our different markets that assist with compliance and bookkeeping to ensure timely and accurate work
- Overseeing the company’s efforts with respect to month-end and annual financial reporting, reconciliations, and other business accounting activities, as well as keeping budget v actual models up to date and participating in quarterly budget re-forecasting exercises
- Identifying opportunities to improve financial and accounting processes for the company, including processes, data, tooling, software, and workflows
- Managing accounting/financial projects that support the growth and scaling of the business, including the improvement of company-wide financial procedures, policies, and internal controls to ensure consistency and clarity across business operations
- Preparing for, supporting, and managing annual financial audits
- When necessary, performing accounting research to determine appropriate accounting guidance, standards, and treatment of / reporting for ad-hoc transactions
- Drafting, updating, and maintaining the company’s accounting policies
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance (CPA preferred)
- 4+ years of finance or accounting experience preferably with experience in a start-up or nonprofit environment. Experience managing a team bonus!
- Strong technical and modeling skills in Excel and financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, Netsuite, QuickBooks)
- A problem solver who is ready to personally dig in to find and build solutions useful for all
- Show empathy in their work, system designs, and everyday interactions with teammates, our customers, and the patients we ultimately serve
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and comfort with ambiguity; ability to embrace change and build structure into a less defined work environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills – excellent at communication, building relationships and working across all levels of the company
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.
Start date is March 2023 and compensation is commensurate with experience.