Head of Global Finance
Maisha Meds is seeking a stellar finance leader to build systems that can delight at scale!
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 4million patient encounters at over 1,200 pharmacies and drug shops annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with an initial focus on malaria case management. Recent results from a randomized controlled trial with UC Berkeley showed that our programs lead to a statistically significant 350% increase in appropriate and high quality malaria care. Based on these results, we are planning to scale the technology to reach over 10,000 health facilities and 20 million patients, and to directly pay for health outcomes for 1 million patients annually by 2024. In addition, we are actively building programs to support injectable contraceptives, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, measles and HPV vaccines, malnutrition support, and safe water interventions. Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds to have them pay us on a contract basis for health outcomes. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the role
We have had strong growth recently, tripling our facility network size in the last 18 months, yet we believe we have the ability to support 10,000 or more facilities with our software across 4-5 countries in the next 3 years with $10-20mil+ in annual recurring revenue. To support this growth, we need robust, automated, simple but scalable finance systems that include real-time grant reporting, support large volumes of small expenses for field operations, handle large amounts of small $1-2 payments for care, track and manage collateral from thousands of facilities that pay us “down payments” to enroll in our reimbursement program, and automate the finance function of our e-commerce system that is currently generating $1-2million in revenue. In addition, this person should be excited to oversee the company’s finances across multiple jurisdictions in Africa, as well as be comfortable working with US GAAP to manage the accounts of our parent entity in the US. As Global Head of Finance at Maisha Meds, you will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the entirety of Maisha Meds’s financial function, supporting growth and expansion, minimizing financial risks, and providing data and analytics to support strategic decision-making
- Lead financial planning for the organization, and work with individual business unit and country heads to support their planning capacity
- Work with CEO and Head of People on headcount and compensation budgeting and strategies
- Oversee day-to-day finance functions including revenue recognition, accounts receivable, collections, accounts payable and financial reporting, including regulatory compliance; build next generation systems that automate day-to-day accounting functions and can scale with our pharmacy and patient growth
- Coordinate general bookkeeping activities, preparation of tax submissions across US and African entities, preparation of accounts for external audit and review
- Manage a small team of finance professionals within the organization, and work to build their skills and capacity to ready the team for future growth
- Developing appropriate FX hedging strategies to minimize currency exposure risk
- Developing reserves policy and investment strategy to build financial resilience
- Overseeing all matters pertaining to financial regulatory compliance, including liaising with tax and revenue authorities; auditors; and other relevant external parties as required
Strategic Finance & Decision Support
- Lead preparation of organizational financial forecasts, models, finance updates for the Board and Executive team
- Support the CSO on ad hoc strategic finance projects including developing financial models and materials for roadshows/marketing and investor presentations
- Support the CSO to refine long-range financial models including revenues, margins, capital and liquidity needs, which can be used for both internal and external communications on the organization’s finances
- Lead ad hoc financial analysis projects as required from time to time by Executive team or business unit heads
- Exceptional quantitative skills and commercial judgment — ability to synthesize operational performance into scenario analyses, and create actionable recommendations
- Entrepreneurial spirit – must thrive in a fast-paced, results driven, rapidly changing environment, and effectively manage competing priorities
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and comfort with ambiguity; ability to embrace change and build structure into a less defined work environment
- Strong prior financial modeling experience, with prior experience developing complex financial forecasts, risk analytics, valuation, financing, or corporate finance models
- Excellent interpersonal skills – excellent at communication, building relationships and working across all levels of the company
- Motivated to contribute to the organization’s growth and culture beyond the immediate bounds of the role, including for example engaging in staff development activities, culture initiatives, roundtables, etc.
- 8+ years of progressive finance experience leading a finance team at a high-growth organization of annual turnover >$5m
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field (MBA or CPA preferred)
- Experience of working in organizations who have entities which operate according to US GAAP; experience of managing finances at a 501(c)(3); and experience in managing finances for organizations in receipt of funds from major donors including USAID, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Prior experience in the SaaS or healthcare financing space an advantage but not prerequisite
While much of our team is based in East Africa, this role has the potential to be fully remote for the right person. We’re a small, friendly team that values open communication and mentorship, and we provide benefits including health insurance and 401(k) / pension.
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, Lions Head Investment Bank,, I&M Bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.