Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for an exceptional professional who will design programmatic changes that increase the operational efficiency of Maisha Meds. You will be involved in all phases of innovation management, from design to execution to evaluation. You will report to the COO.
About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is focused on improving healthcare quality, affordability, and access in Africa. Since incorporating in 2017, we have grown to support over 150,000 patients monthly across Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda with our suite of software products. Our network of pharmacies and clinics use our restocking system to order medicines from high quality suppliers, and we’re testing a variety of payment systems and incentive structures to improve patient uptake of high-impact health products like malaria diagnostics and treatment, antenatal care commodities, and contraceptives. We measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare commodities for low-income patients across Africa.
The organization is at an exciting inflection point – we are currently testing our digital reimbursement model for improving malaria diagnosis and treatment alongside health economics research partners and global health funders. We are currently expanding our efforts in Tanzania and Uganda, with other countries to follow. We are moving towards supporting digital reimbursement for the 16 core areas that make up Universal Health Coverage (UHC) as defined by the World Health Organization. And we have begun to partner with global health funders, insurance companies, and pharmaceutical manufacturers to ensure that the diagnostics and therapies required to support UHC are always available at the last mile, no matter how far that last mile might be.
About the Role
The role has three primary responsibilities:
Systems design and development: Working directly with the COO, you will integrate new models and programs into the operations team to improve operational efficiency. Possible work streams include:
- Directly mapping out and developing new operations systems, with an eye towards usability and simplicity while generating robust data to support existing program improvements
- Supporting training and iteration on new systems, thus setting them up for success
- Conducting research, testing and incorporating new tech solutions that can further streamline attaining key performance indicators by the operations team
Small-scale operational R&D and field trials: Design small scale trials to test new models, analyze trial data, and report findings to evaluate whether to roll out models across Maisha Meds network. These may include:
- Gathering information and conducting needfinding for ideas that can improve impact, scale, or operational efficiency
- Running small-scale tests to evaluate new operational ideas and synthesizing the results through memos and presentations
- Working with the wider operations team to incorporate successful trials into overall programs at scale
Performance management and communication/coordination across operations teams: You will work directly with the COO to design ways to assess the performance of team members and programs. This could include:
- Building systems to organically assess performance of individual team members
- Conducting research on best-practices for performance management and how to incorporate into compensation and communications structures for the team
- Working with the COO to develop communications materials, agendas, and intervals and ensure stellar communication across all teams related to what is working or not
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 1-4+ years of work experience. We are looking for candidates that will help take our organization to the next level of impact and scale. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 1+ years of experience building operational systems and/or testing out digital solutions to be used to improve operational efficiency
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Collaborative team player who can engage teams across the organization to meet strategic objectives
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
- Strong data skills; strong Excel skills a plus
- Top performing undergraduate background
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- East African national
We would prefer to have you based in Nairobi, with regular travel to our main office in Kisumu
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals and conference bikes like in Silicon Valley, we can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people.
Start date is March or April 2020, and compensation is commensurate with experience.