Maisha Meds is seeking a stellar information technology expert and security enthusiast to manage our machines, software and compliance with system systems.
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organisation dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 4 million patient encounters at over 1,200 pharmacies and drug shops annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with an initial focus on malaria case management. Recent results from a randomised controlled trial with UC Berkeley showed that our programs lead to a statistically significant 350% increase in appropriate and high quality malaria care. Based on these results, we are planning to scale the technology to reach over 10,000 health facilities and 20 million patients, and to directly pay for health outcomes for 1 million patients annually by 2024. In addition, we are actively building programs to support injectable contraceptives, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, measles and HPV vaccines, malnutrition support, and safe water interventions.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds to have them pay us on a contract basis for health outcomes. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the role
Our team has grown recently, and along with it, the technological needs of the organisation. To support the team and our future growth, we need to maintain a fleet of machines supporting 100+ staff across multiple continents. The role also oversees the roadmap and management of enterprise platforms and applications that underlie Maisha Meds work such as a suite of office tools as well as ensuring our staff are compliant with security requirements.
As Director of IT at Maisha Meds, you will be responsible for:
- Lead a customer-first help desk team that provides IT support and access to onboarding and training resources where available.
- Working with the COO and CTO, provide strategic thinking of Maisha Meds’ IT function, including defining the roadmap of work, engaging in cross-organization priority initiatives, and ensuring successful delivery of IT solutions.
- Select and deploy solutions for back office operations, including those supporting sales, customer service, HR, finance, and communications.
- Ensure IT subject matter expertise on Mac/PC/mobile devices, network and firewall devices, Wi-Fi access points, printers, and other relevant hardware.
- Evaluate, select, onboard and oversee third-party vendors as necessary.
- Lead the hardware procurement process across our 5 African markets, including tablet devices sold to our end-customers, and laptop devices for internal users.
- Regularly review the performance and quality of our tablets, and the availability of new brands, models or solutions that could better serve our customers while still matching buyer segments in our various markets.
- Manage the lifecycle of internal user’s devices and other technology assets from roll out, ongoing asset inventory management, upgrades, and deprecation.
- Lead security compliance within the organisation – ensuring the organisation maintains and expands compliance with HIPAA and SOC2 (currently at 85% completion)
- Maintain our security tools and technology, leveraging Vanta to support this function
- Conduct bi-weekly team compliance checks and access reviews for internal systems and follow up with any actions needed
- Support selection and deployment of vulnerability scanner and MDM vendors as needed
- Oversee yearly SOC2 and HIPAA audits via Vanta platform and support penetration testing, tabletop exercise documentation, and other requirements as needed
- 5+ years of progressive IT professional experience, including at least 2 years at a management level with comparable staff and budget responsibilities.
- Excited to design IT strategy as well as hands-on troubleshooting when necessary.
- Proven experience working with third-party vendors and managed services.
- Comfortable and conversant with information systems and proven experience in IT infrastructure planning, delivery, project management, and policy development.
- Demonstrated ability to discuss technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Entrepreneurial spirit – must thrive in a fast-paced, results driven, rapidly changing environment, and effectively manage competing priorities.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and comfort with ambiguity; ability to embrace change and build structure into a less defined work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – excellent at communication, building relationships and working across all levels of the company.
- Experience managing hardware procurement processes is a big plus.
- Experience managing technology across multiple field offices and different countries is preferred.
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, Lions Head Investment Bank,, I&M Bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.