Manager, People Operations
Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a people operations Manager.
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 3million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About this role
Maisha Meds is looking for a Manager, People Operations to join our team. You will be responsible for helping to find, develop, motivate, and retain the team at Maisha Meds. You will act as a champion for the company culture and will support the company executives and team leaders to build a fun yet strongly performance-based culture at Maisha Meds, allowing the company to develop and grow quickly. In this role you will be responsible for all human resources related activities.
This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya, with potential travel to Kisumu. You will report directly to the COO for this role, and provide indirect supervision of various team members based on the active portfolio.
We want to make Maisha Meds a great place to work, where we build a great team, where people are challenged to do their best work, and where everyone can make a difference. As the People Manager you will be responsible for helping us build and support this exceptional group of people and support the company as it grows, ensuring that all staff understand how people-related decisions get made. The role is an essential part to our commitment to building a fun yet strongly performance-based and people-oriented culture at Maisha Meds and ensuring we have the systems and processes for scale.
People & Culture
- Build and lead people function: Work closely with the executive team to build out Maisha Meds’ people function, and drive projects aimed at improving team culture and performance across a growing number of country operations
- Lead and support staff, managers and executive team in performance management
- Provide useful data to help guide decision making, and allow the company to scale effectively and efficiently
- Develop and rollout innovative approaches to retaining talent
- Develop an alumni engagement plan to ensure strong networks are maintained with Maisha Meds alumni
- Develop a recruitment strategy that is in line with Maisha Med’s talent needs and growth trajectory, including developing a pipeline of candidates across all roles
- Build out the recruitment process at Maisha Meds to ensure that applicants have a wonderful recruitment experience
- Lead and support recruiting: Work with relevant teams to provide support for recruiting across levels
- Collaborate with leadership to identify and address training and professional development needs for Maisha Meds team members
- Lead and support HR related administrative duties across the organization
Build out & manage the People Operations team
- Provide management and guidance for the People Operations Associate
- Identify needs for the People Operations team and hire as needed to ensure successful support of the broader Maisha Meds team
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in human resources, business, strategy, or other related field
- Prior HR experience preferred but not required if the candidate has held a senior-level position at an innovative organization that places a strong emphasis on People
- 4+ years work experience (minimum), with at least 2+ years in roles that have required significant coordination, communications, and people-related experience
- Passion for building teams, finding talent, building relationships and tackling challenging people-related issues
- Adaptability to a fast-paced working environment
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
- African country national
- Leadership experience, drive, and willingness to mentor others on the team; experience in remote management a plus
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.