People Operations Senior Associate
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 1.5million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the role
Maisha Meds is looking to hire an energetic People Operations/HR Associate with a high level of attention to detail to join our team. You should be able to multitask, suggest process improvements, take an innovative approach, and bring a welcoming attitude to our office – you will often be the first point of contact for potential hires, and you’ll put our brand & reputation first.
Your key areas of responsibility will include recruiting, benefits administration, performance management admin, and HR compliance, reporting to our Head of People. This role requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.
This role is based in Kisumu. You will report to the Head of People.
- Facilitate and coordinate aspects of recruiting for positions including job posting, resume screening, interview scheduling, reference checks, candidate communication, and maintain records for all interview processes
- Manage and maintain accurate employee records and updated employee information
- Assist with managing employee HR-related requests around contracts and benefits, under the guidance of the Head of People
- Administer, manage, monitor, and track employee benefits including health insurance, pension scheme, leave days, etc.
- Assist with the management of the performance review processes for all staff
- Recommend and implement improvements to streamline HR processes for a growing team
- Maintain manager and employee confidence by keeping human resources information confidential
- Any other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or a related field; higher diploma in HR is an added advantage
- Active IHRM membership will be considered an advantage
- Preference for candidates with 2+ years’ work experience in a Human Resource Department of a fast-growing company; please specify years of relevant experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong planning and time management skills
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in mainstream office software including MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), G Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, Forms); comfort learning new systems
- Detail-oriented, organized, and self-driven with ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of employment laws
- Discretion and confidentiality is of utmost importance
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. We can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people across East Africa.
Start date is 3rd January 2022, and compensation is commensurate with experience.