Product Designer – Contract
Maisha Meds is looking for a creative, experienced, and motivated designer to advance health care in East Africa, where over 60% of patients visit private pharmacies as their first point to access health care. You will be joining a small, enthusiastic team of 10 as we scale to thousands of pharmacies in the next year supporting millions of patient encounters. As such, you’ll have the opportunity to make a large and visible impact on our company and the autonomy to design UI to thrive at scale. You will have the opportunity to reimagine core parts of our existing product. We’re looking for someone who can not only dream up great ideas, but can also implement them alongside our engineers – meaning rapid prototyping abilities are important. We will also be relying on you to work with both the Product and Engineering teams to build a cohesive product design vision. We are looking for a designer willing to commit 50% of their time to helping us achieve our mission of beautifully designed, impactful technology, with the possible conversion to full-time work for exceptional candidates.
About Maisha Meds
We’re working to make quality medicines and diagnostics affordable and accessible for the 2.5 billion patients worldwide who access primary health care at their local drug shop. Not long ago, we started with software that tracked medication sales and inventory at these drug shops and clinics. Now we are moving into medication supply chains, partnering with suppliers to ensure that effective medicines are stocked in pharmacies across East Africa, and that they have the working capital to optimize their shops. Our software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Africa to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year.
For the people who use our software, it represents a way of tracking business decisions and accessing deals and working capital. For patients, we help strengthen supply chains and ensure that the medicine that they buy will be affordable and consistently high quality, in a setting where 1 in 10 products is counterfeit or substandard.
- Dedicate 50% of your time to Maisha Meds (in person or remote)
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to prototype screens
- Define long-term needs, problems and goals
- Rapidly prototype and work alongside engineers to implement product changes
- Build elegant user flows tailored for health facilities and healthcare decisionmakers
- Work with product to translate findings into an elegant product vision
- 2+ years of professional experience in graphic design or UI/UX related fields
- Desire and ability to create beautiful icons, graphics, and interfaces
- Ability to establish visual hierarchy, layout, typography, and color effectively
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch
- Demonstrable experience producing wireframes and UX for mobile platforms
- Knowledge of Android design principles and guidelines
- A drive to simplify and clarify complex sets of information.
- Effective problem solving skills including decision making and time management
- Entrepreneurial nature, creativity, resourcefulness, and a sense of humor
- Design of software for emerging markets a plus
How to apply
Send your resume, links to any personal projects you’ve done and a cover letter (optional) to email@example.com with the title “Product Designer.”