About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 3 million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.
Our work is funded by USAID Development Innovation Ventures, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, Pfizer, and others, and we are starting to build partnerships with multilateral global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and national health insurance funds. We use data from our point of sale software to design programs that leverage financial incentives to improve uptake of high impact health products. And we measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa.
About the Role
We are looking for a data analyst with a passion for research to join the team. We are working with researchers (including Anne Karing and Michael Dinerstein at University of Chicago) to gain insights from Maisha Meds’ point of sale data that can help inform global health policy. We also provide support to partners who are collaborating on randomized control trials to test the effectiveness of our healthcare subsidy program.
This role will involve working closely with researchers in fields like economics and epidemiology to understand their data needs. Projects might include looking at the use of antimicrobials across East Africa, understanding pharmacy business models, and investigating differential access to drugs across regions. We are looking for someone with the ability to proactively manage relationships and understand stakeholder requirements, while also being interested in learning new technical data skills like SQL.
- Work with researchers to gather requirements and understand their data needs.
- Perform descriptive analysis on data using tools like SQL and python. Make charts, tables, and other data visualizations using dashboard tools to show health commodity consumption trends.
- Become a subject matter expert on Maisha Meds’ data. Create documentation on various datasets. Work with data, software, and operations teams to understand how data relates to business processes.
- Create summarized datasets for researchers. Audit aggregation and anonymization of data to ensure customer privacy.
- Identify and summarize publicly available research or data sources on public health topics in East Africa.
- There is potential to learn some data engineering / data modeling skills.
Skills & Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience in quantitative analysis
- Undergraduate degree with coursework completed in subjects such as Statistics, Economics, Epidemiology, Biomedical Science or Public Health
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to work with people in diverse fields, both technical and non-technical, and proactively gain an understanding of data needs from different perspectives
- Project management skills – prioritize stakeholder requests, discuss trade-offs, and think critically about how to simplify requests
- Good understanding of econometric research methods
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis tools such as SQL, Excel, R, Python, or Stata and enthusiasm to learn new tools.
- Excited about the potential to improve healthcare access using data!
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. We’re a small, friendly team that values open communication and mentorship.
This is a full time position starting immediately. We would prefer candidates based in East Africa, although we are primarily working remotely due to Covid-19.