Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Looking for something different? Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a creative, experienced, and motivated developer to advance health care in East Africa, where over 60% of patients visit private pharmacies as their first point to access health care. Candidates should be excited about the prospect of taking a leadership role in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment, be interested in helping galvanize a budding tech community, and have a keen interest in transforming how low-income patients access health care.
You will be joining a small, enthusiastic team of 10 as we scale to thousands of pharmacies in the next year supporting hundreds of thousands of patient encounters. As such, you’ll have the opportunity to make a large and visible impact on our company and the autonomy to build our tech to thrive at scale. You will also take a lead in mentoring and building local tech talent – you will be paired with a local team member to provide regular code reviews and coaching sessions. Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate that they can learn quickly, adapt to changing circumstances, and rise to the challenge of difficult tasks that they might not have experience solving.
About Maisha Meds
We’re working to make quality medicines and diagnostics affordable and accessible for the 2.5 billion patients worldwide who access primary health care at their local drug shop. Not long ago, we started with software that tracked medication sales and inventory at these drug shops and clinics. Now we are moving into medication supply chains, partnering with suppliers to ensure that effective medicines are stocked in pharmacies across East Africa, and that they have the working capital to optimize their shops. Our software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Africa to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year.
For the people who use our software, it represents a way of tracking business decisions and accessing deals and working capital. For patients, we help strengthen supply chains and ensure that the medicine that they buy will be affordable and consistently high quality, in a setting where 1 in 10 products is counterfeit or substandard.
- Help scale our Android app and server-side components to support our growing client base
- We’re currently using Node and Python server side, but because we’re still small, and building flexible architecture, you’ll get a ton of freedom to work with the technology stacks you think are most effective, as well as the freedom to explore.
- Help to build and develop tools to support streamlined and quality supply chains and integrated financing for medications in an environment where up to 1/3 of medications in the country do not meet international quality standards.
- Build the technical knowledge and excellence of our local team members, including teaching and coaching sessions and regular code reviews
- Develop our server-side and client-side patient care technology. This includes building out our intelligent SMS health tips platform, and developing analytics pipelines to feed critical health information back to our clients.
- Develop our analytics and data processing tools
Or (almost) anything else that you’re interested in. Our philosophy is that you should work on things that excite you most. Obviously this has to align at least somewhat with our business priorities, but we’re flexible!
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Statistics or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 2+ years of experience in either mobile or web development, with experience working on a full software stack
- Experience scaling mobile or web products and writing clean, well-documented code
- Ability to evaluate and prioritize a long list of dependent and independent tasks based on business and technical constraints
- Passionate and attentive self-starters, great communicators, amazing follow-through, sense of humor – you love the responsibility of being personally empowered.
- The ability to work well with a culturally diverse team
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with Node.js and/or Python
- Data science experience
- Some Android experience
Why you should come work for us
Our company takes the best of Silicon Valley, including the technical expertise, rapid iteration, and agile processes, and applies this approach to solving problems that affect millions across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered daily meals, a Ping-Pong table, or 30” monitors, we can offer an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change, help lead a small but passionate tech team, and give you access to some of the world’s most incredible places. We are dedicated to our work, and care deeply about our product’s impact, the clients and patients who use our software, and the company’s success. You’ll get the opportunity to help grow a small startup from a local operation, to a company serving tens of millions of people. On top of all of this, you’ll have the chance to explore this incredible region – spend weekends in tropical paradise, chase after lions and elephants, or climb some of the tallest freestanding mountains in the world.
Working at a startup in East Africa is a big decision, and we get that. As such, we’re offering a variable term contract, so you can decide how long you’d like to work with us. That said, we require a 6-month minimum commitment, and suggest staying at least a year. Your offer will include a return flight to/from Nairobi if you are based elsewhere, as well as regional travel to spend time with our team in Kisumu.
How to apply
Send your resume, links to any personal projects you’ve done and a cover letter (optional) to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Software Engineer.”