UI/UX Design Intern
Maisha Meds is hiring! We are seeking a talented UI/UX Design Intern who will be responsible for creating visually appealing and user-friendly interfaces for our products. In this role, you will work closely with our product development team to create and improve user interfaces and user experiences for our products. You will also be required to be proficient in graphic design to support marketing efforts that require graphic design & branding decisions. This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya and you will report to the Senior UI/UX Designer for this work for a duration of 6 months.
Join Our Team
Maisha Meds is an organization dedicated to improving health care in Africa. We began full-time operations in 2017 and over the past few years has grown to support over 2.5million patient encounters annually across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, and Zambia with our suite of software products. We are building the financial and technology infrastructure to enable global health funders to pay for health outcomes at the last mile, with a focus on malaria case management (and results from a RCT with UC Berkeley due out later this year), injectable contraceptives, prenatal care, HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, and COVID testing and vaccination.We measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare diagnosis, treatment, and prevention for low-income patients across Africa. And we work with a mix of leading global health funders, pharmaceutical companies, and ministries of health to make this happen.
Who We’re Looking For
As a Design Intern, we are looking for someone who is passionate about creating visually stunning and user-friendly interfaces, as well as marketing materials that effectively communicate the brand message. The ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of design principles, including typography, layout, and color theory, and should be proficient in design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, and Canva.
In addition, we are seeking a candidate who is interested in understanding user needs, and who is willing to conduct user research and testing to inform design decisions. Strong communication and collaboration skills are also essential, as the Design Intern will be working closely with cross-functional teams to gather requirements and iterate on designs.
A willingness to learn and take initiative is also crucial, as the Design Intern will be involved in various stages of the design process, from ideation to implementation. If you are a creative problem solver, with a passion for design, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
- Assist in creating wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for new product features
- Conduct user research and usability testing to inform design decisions
- Support in graphic design requests for marketing and assist in creating low and high fidelity interface designs for Maisha Meds tools and applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather and evaluate user requirements
- Help design and develop user interfaces that are intuitive, visually appealing, and user-friendly
- Continuously improve the UI/UX of our products based on user feedback
- Stay up-to-date with the latest design trends and techniques
- Currently pursuing or recently completed a degree in UI/UX design, graphic design, or a related field
- Experience with HCD that spans web, mobile (predominantly Android) apps and web interfaces.
- Strong design skills with proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, and Canva
- Basic understanding of user experience principles and design thinking methodologies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for learning, feedback and continuous improvement
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.