Vice President of Market Access
Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a visionary leader with deep policy expertise to engage with global and national healthcare decision-makers.
About Maisha Meds
Maisha Meds is focused on improving healthcare quality, affordability, and access in Africa. Since incorporating in 2017, we have grown to support nearly 150,000 patients monthly across Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda with our suite of software products. Our network of pharmacies and clinics use our restocking system to order medicines from high quality suppliers, and we’re testing a variety of payment systems and incentive structures to improve patient uptake of high-impact health products like malaria diagnostics and treatment, antenatal care commodities, and contraceptives. We measure our success by our ability to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare commodities for low-income patients across Africa.
The organization is at an exciting inflection point – in 2020, we will test our digital reimbursement model for improving malaria diagnosis and treatment alongside research partners from UC Berkeley that include Maria Dieci, Paul Gertler and Jon Kolstad. We will expand our efforts in Tanzania and Uganda and commence a small trial in Nigeria as well. We will move towards supporting digital reimbursement for the 16 core areas that make up Universal Health Coverage (UHC) as defined by the World Health Organization. And we will partner with global health funders, insurance companies, and pharmaceutical manufacturers to ensure that the diagnostics and therapies required to support UHC are always available at the last mile, no matter how far that last mile might be.
About the Role
We believe that strategic engagement with policy leaders is critical to fulfilling our mission to improve access to affordable, high-quality, and appropriate medicines at scale. We recently secured Stage 2 funding from USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to test a more transparent and accountable model of delivery of global health funding. This model enables point of care reimbursement for essential health products via mobile money, which has the potential to transform fundamentals of health financing in low- and middle-income countries. We are looking for an individual with extensive experience working with key national and global health decision-makers to help us engage and iterate with them on our value proposition. The ideal candidate will:
- Deeply understand the perspectives, incentives, constraints, and synergies across the health policy landscape
- Align and communicate the value of Maisha Meds with the objectives of decision-makers and funders at a national and global level
- Position Maisha Meds as a thought leader and trusted expert in improving access to affordable, high-quality, and appropriate medicines
- Inform policies that draw from our lessons learned that will help make Maisha Meds model ubiquitous across sub-Saharan Africa
We are looking for a strategic and focused leader with experience engaging in-country bodies like the Country Coordinating Mechanism and Council of Governors, as well as global decision-makers in Geneva, Washington DC, and Seattle. In this role, the VP Market Access will lead Maisha Meds policy efforts in Kenya and across the region. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, you will:
Lead policy strategy and execution for Maisha Meds: With support from our CEO and experts across the organization, you will establish policy targets and objectives aligned with our scale pathway, and oversee all activities relating to achieving those policy targets. Our VP Market Access will:
- Work closely with leaders across the organization to develop our policy strategy and refine it over time
- Set policy targets, define policy OKRs, and ensure these are aligned with our long-term vision for scale and sustainability
- Manage all activities relating to achieving policy objectives and targets
- Motivate our team to align their work streams in support of policy targets and objectives
Drive funding commitments for point-of-care subsidies from national, regional, and global decision-makers: You will identify and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders and serve as the primary relationship manager for these partners. You will:
- Conduct need-finding and identify pain points among key in-country, regional, and global policy leaders
- Synthesize lessons learned and research outcomes from Maisha Meds, and work with policy leaders to translate these research findings into innovative, data-driven programs
- Secure funding agreements to implement point-of-care subsidy models in Kenya and elsewhere
- Develop systems for ongoing management of these relationships, and direct our team how to most effectively engage as needed
Lead engagement with policymakers and advisers: You will manage ongoing engagement with potential public sector users of the system, ensure national-level familiarity with our system, and engage regularly with our recently-assembled board of world class policy experts. You will:
- Facilitate regular policy meetings with policy advisory board to address strategic and tactical questions to advance our policy goals
- Present to and engage relevant technical working groups and regulators throughout the region to secure relevant approvals
- Lead public sector adoption of our system, from two counties currently using it to the 45 others that may be interested
- Ensure all relevant national stakeholders are aware and briefed on our value proposition and support data systems integration and data security and compliance approvals
We are seeking exceptional health policy experts with 6+ years of policy experience working within and engaging with African health systems. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strategic leader with a track record of successfully building relationships to find common ground, build consensus, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholder groups and achieve high-level policy objectives
- Experience working with in-country coordinating mechanisms, national health insurance, and global health funders in Geneva, Seattle, and DC
- Experience developing relationships with senior government officials, leaders of development agencies, and private sector representatives
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Collaborative team player who can engage leaders across the organization to meet strategic objectives
- Ability to identify opportunities or resources and motivate relevant team members to pursue them
- Conversant in the language of both business and government policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a multicultural workplace
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Swahili language skills, with a strong preference for East African candidates
We would prefer to have you based in Nairobi, but would be open to a part-time remote position for the right person.
Why You Should Join Us
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions of people across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals and conference bikes like in Silicon Valley, we can promise you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people.
Start date is February 2020, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “VP Market Access.”